We are delighted to announce the return of cricket to Ovington Cricket Club with news of the belated start to the 2020 season.
However, there are several things that all players need to be aware of before play can resume:
1. If any player, official or spectator feels unwell or is suffering from any symptom of COVID such as a fever or cough, they must stay at home and not come to the game. Even if this means dropping out on the day of the game and leaving your team short of players, please stay at home if you are at all unsure.
2. All indoor facilities with the exception of toilets will be closed. This means several things for players:
- All players must arrive at the ground changed and ready to play.
- No showers will be available at the end of play.
- There will be no teas or refreshments offered. All players are responsible for providing all of their own food and drink including bottles of water.
- In the event of rain, players must shelter in their own vehicles or under umbrellas and gazebos that the club will provide. Kit is to be stored in vehicles.
- Access to the toilets will be staggered on a one-in/one-out basis. Only players, officials and spectators will be allowed to use the toilets.
3. As teas will not be provided, match fees for the 2020 season will be £5 for seniors and £3 for juniors, students and those claiming job seekers allowance. Cash-free payment methods will be available.
4. There will be regular breaks for hygienic measures such as use of hand sanitiser.
5. All players must familiarise themselves with the Risk Assessment document found here.
6. All players, umpires and other volunteers must give their details to the scorers before the beginning of every match.
We are sure that as long as everybody takes the appropriate steps to stay safe then we can enjoy our cricket and get the most out of what remains of the season.
With regard to the games that will take place:
1. York Senior League will be arranging fixtures and therefore our 1st Team will be playing some competitive cricket this year. However, there will be no promotion or relegation. As not every club is expected to take part, the fixtures may be different to those originally expected back in March. We will inform players when we are aware of the fixture list.
2. York Vale League will not be providing any fixtures in 2020 and therefore our 2nd and 3rd teams will not be playing competitive games this year. We are planning to arrange friendlies to fill the gap and will inform players when they are arranged. The primary aim of these friendlies is to provide as much cricket as possible to as many players as possible to ensure that everyone stays involved and enjoying themselves. As such, there may be some squad rotation and players may be rested from a match purely on the grounds of giving others a game. Selection may have no reflection on how well players are playing. It is very important that all players who wish to play on a weekend make captains aware of their availability as soon as possible so that captains can pick teams appropriately.
We hope to see many happy, smiling faces on the Knavesmire this year and would like to wish health and happiness to everyone involved in the club.
Ovington CC Committee