Doc and Jack get five but Burn do the double


There was lots of cricket in the past week and we’ve got another action-packed weekend of Cricket, with the cup taking over for the Second and Thirds, as well as the First team making a welcome return to Cricket at the Little Knavesmire. This and a quick-rundown of last week’s action are can be found below.

A big thank you to this weeks Match Sponsor – Richardson’s of Woodthorpe. They are a traditional butcher and game dealer, and we most appreciate their sponsorship of Saturday’s home match. For more details about their offering – please see their website.

Last week saw the First Team get back to winning ways, although the weather tried it’s best to intervene. Winning the toss and electing to field, Woodhouse’s Ted Baty opened the batting and he got on with the task in hand, hitting 65 from 83 balls, including 11 boundaries. It was the introduction into the attack of Neil Metcalfe that swung the game in Ovington’s favour. His 12 overs providing the exemplary figures of 5-14 including four maidens, and that meant that Woodhouse Grange went from 86-4 to 119-7. Some late resistance saw them reach 140-9, using up the allotted 40 overs. Dom Everard took two wickets.

The weather threatened to intervene, with a rain-storm leaving the game in doubt. After some conversations between two captains, the game finally restarted and it was Tim Burgess (35 not out) and Pete Kelly (52 from 48 balls) that did the majority of the damage – as Ovington reached the target with six wickets remaining and plenty of overs in hand. This has sent us shooting up the table and although still a long way off the top two, now see’s Ovington in 4th place. This week sees them play Selby at home, a team who are on the same number of points than us, so this should mean a fairly competitive fixture.

Special thanks to all our Sponsors, who are helping the club continue to grow it’s Junior and Senior sections in 2018.


herida healthcare




The Knavesmire Pub


JG Fielders

The First Team also played their maiden Cup game in the Senior League, but due to rain in previous weeks it was relegated to a morning 20/20 game vs Pickering 2nd’s. Playing a team two divisions higher and Ovo getting 16 runs start, we just couldn’t get close to the 166-4 set by Pickering batting first. Brian Leckerby’s 68 from 48 set the tone as Ovington just didn’t have the bowling attack to trouble them. Dom Everard’s and Tom Cookson’s two wickets apiece was the highlight in an innings that used seven bowlers. Despite our best efforts and Joe Whale’s towering six, we were never in touch with the run-rate and eventually fell 52 runs short. A useful experience though to play against much better opposition.

The Third Team made the trip to Burn and put them into bat, fearing rain-storms could end the game at any stage. Jack Walmsley took the important wicket of Ray Adamson but the opener at the other end was to prove much harder to dismiss. Vaughan Lindley, who works for Ovo sponsor Crombie Wilkinson in their Selby office, got his maiden half-century, ending up on 82. He lacked support at the other end throughout and he batted extremely well. There was some cracking bowling by 14 year old Jack Walmsley, who took his second five-wicket haul for the season in the Thirds, ending up on 5-44. Rob Wallace was unfortunate to just come away with one wicket in his 12 over spell, with Jimmy Taylor (2-52) and debutante Raj Rai (1-5), the first player from Nepal to play for Ovington, gave it their all with a below-standard fielding performance not helping.

Ovo fell to 29-4 with only Matt Spooner (22) getting into double figures before a torrential rain-storm hit and the prospect of play looked bleak. Burn were confident of getting back out there and with some top work on the ground, play continued. They might have regretted that decision at one stage when after some slack fielding, Joe Browning smacked 71 including a double-figure number of 4’s in an entertaining innings. He single-handedly got Ovo to about 50 away from the target before eventually being bowled. Rob Wallace and Luke Smith did their best to chase down the total but Wallace was left stranded at the other end on 24 not out as Ovington fell 32 short. Dan Robinson (3-42) and Bryn Roberts (4-55) the ones doing the damage for Burn.

Ovington got through to the Second Round of the Cup through Acomb’s withdrawal from the league and play Sessay, who the thirds beat only a couple of weeks ago. The team for Ovington that will line-up will be much different and it will be a difficult match against a team who are unbeaten except from the Ovo defeat. We travel to Crayke’s ground for the first time too. In team news, Raj Rai was injured on a Field Exercise this week and will miss the game, so Harry Evans and Jamie Allan will make their first starts in Ovo colours for a considerable period.

Funday this year will take place on Sunday 8th July, keep your eyes peeled for more information in your inbox and on Ovo’s social media!

Ovington 2nds won the toss and elected to bat against Burn on a green surface at Millthorpe School. Alex Webster (3-19), playing in his first game of the season, found pace and bounce in the track and made life hard for the opening pair. Harry Buckley (39) in at number four, played some aggressive shots before falling to the bowling of Graham Robson by a well taken catch from 16-year-old Sam Edwards. Sam Dixon was going well until he ran himself trying to take on the arm of Matthew Smith in the covers. Edwards (3-11) joined the attack with a fine spell of spin bowling and ensured Ovington’s target of 125 was always in sight.

Eight overs into the second innings, a rain storm passed overhead leaving the exposed strip sat under an inch of water. While both teams found shelter under trees it looked as though the game would be over and the points shared. However, thanks to some great work by the hosts, the wicket was mopped up and the game resumed. The wet field changed the tempo of the game, with a slow outfield limiting boundaries. It was up to opener Leigh Adamson (56no) to keep things steady for Burn. Simon Rogerson (1-17) kept things tight but it was Andy Hockenhall (3-39) that did the damage with the ball by taking three wickets in three overs. Steve Cruise managed to steady the ship and his unbeaten 29 supported Adamson to give Burn the victory by six wickets with six overs to spare.

The Seconds ran into the juggernaut that was Mark Earle in the first round and bowed out to a strong Westow side. They go back to calmer waters in the Plate competition, the Guy Mitchell Trophy with a game against Hirst Courtney. The opposition here today however are a dangerous side, currently 2nd in the second division only having lost to Stockton & Hopgrove this year. In response, captain Buckley has drafted in specialist T20 batsman Chris Geelan in order to ensure the run-rate remains high.

The search goes on for an elusive first win but Tuesday evening’s match against Heslington saw the U9s learn how to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. A season high team score of 78 was aided by Lorcan Chant (14) and very late debutant (10 minutes before meet up) Harry St John (6) with all players drastically improving their enthusiasm for a single compared with the beginning of the season. Captain Phoebe Andrews led the team back onto the field with great authority and considering the team were a player short throughout saw tight bowling from Alex Beard (0-6) as well as wickets for Ashley Steel (1-13) and Tom Brook (1-14, from 3 overs). A highlight of the season to date was Alex’s exceptional diving one handed catch at square leg to help claim Tom’s wicket. The team are also commended for all bowling with straight elbows throughout which will help them moving forwards. In the end it was a loss by 9 runs to a nicely polite team but a feeling that progress is being made by all.

The Under 15’s game on Monday was rescheduled because of the England match but spectators on the Little Knavesmire on Tuesday would have seen a cracking match. Ovington batted first and got to the modest total of 91-5. Jack Walmsley retired on 51 the main scoring contribution. In response, Montgomery Grenyer picked up remarkable figures of 4-6 but it was just not quite enough, as Heworth scraped home in the final over with just two wickets remaining.

In the Foss Evening League, Thixendale 152-4 bt Ovington 92-6 by 60 runs. League leaders Thixendale didn’t get off the best of starts as they lost Joe Robinson on only the second ball of the game, off the bowling of Dom Everard. However, the next wicket didn’t fall until the 11th over as Alex Machen (99) delivered a fantastic performance with the bat, only to fall 1 run short of his century to the bowling of Charlie Buckley (2-36). Thixendale finished on 152-4 from 18 overs. In response, Ovington were 2 wickets down in as many overs after some fine bowling by L Sedden (2-12) and A Cooper (2-12) who ripped through the top order. Charlie Buckley offered some promise as he went on to hit 41 before being run out. However, the home side couldn’t quite achieve the required run-rate and ended their innings 60 runs short on 92.


About Author

Administrator of the Ovington CC Website. Woeful bowler.

Comments are closed.